PLANNING FOR LEARNING
Online learning and faculty office hours began on Wednesday, March 18. The high school faculty created a coordinated daily schedule designed for Learning Beyond the Classroom which was later revised to shorten the school day and limit the amount of time in front of a screen. We have since revised the schedule further, and that schedule will be sent via email.
Teachers will deliver the curriculum and communicate with students primarily through Google Classroom and Zoom. Additional online tools may be used for specific classes. High School students can expect to have five hours of learning and school engagement per day. There will be four primary teaching methods:
- Direct Teacher Instruction: Streamed live via Google Meet, Zoom, or pre-recorded video lessons posted on Google Classroom.
- Collaborative Group Interactions: Small-group discussions through Google Meet and Zoom.
- Assignments: Whether individual or group assignments, students will be asked to submit their work through Google Classroom (and Khan Academy for some math), and will be provided with timely teacher support and reflections.
- Office Hours: Teachers will be available for questions and support one-on-one or in small groups via their WSOC Google account, and during office hours Mon-Fri 12.30-3pm.
All materials are available for Learning Beyond the Classroom only and should not be shared beyond the WSOC community.
COMMUNICATING WITH FAMILIES AND STUDENTS
Students will have daily contact with teachers through Google Classroom according to their weekly schedule, and opportunities to schedule time with teachers daily during office hours. The High School faculty are dedicated to supporting student learning and community connection in new ways over the coming weeks.
EXPECTATIONS OF STUDENTS
- Students should understand that Learning Beyond the Classroom is an important part of this year’s school experience. They will engage in lessons with concentration and goodwill, bringing their best efforts to this new experience.
- Students will need a designated workspace for online work, reading, studying, artwork, etc.
- Students should be ready for the beginning of the day and check in for their Main Lesson class by 8:30 a.m. This includes having eaten breakfast, dressed, and being fully ready as they would for a school day.
Technology Needs and Expectations
Students will need:
- A computer with the Google Chrome browser, a webcam, microphone, and Internet access. Headphones or earbuds are also helpful so as not to disturb other family members.
- Daily access to the internet between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Students will need to check their WSOC email accounts, Google Calendar, and Google Classroom to keep track of assignments. Built into the schedule are many break opportunities and time away from the computer.
- To be online at the right time, according to the HS Learning Beyond the Classroom schedule.
- To treat all online interactions in the same manner as classroom learning. Respectful and polite interactions are expected on all chats, email, comments, and virtual meetings.
- Attend all classes on your schedule.
- Actively engage in online lessons, discussions, and assignments.
- Submit assignments according to due dates posted in Google Classroom.
- Follow the individual teacher’s instructions for how to communicate questions.
- Respect that any videos or other materials created by the teachers are for the Waldorf School of Orange County High School online learning only and should NOT be shared beyond our school community.
- Grade 12 students should check in with their Senior Project Facilitators twice a week to report their progress on their projects and communicate about their final presentations.
- Look after yourself: create a rhythm for yourself, practice good hygiene, make time for social communication, take active breaks, eat healthy food, and get enough sleep.
- Breaks and lunch time: close the computer and take a break from the screen.
- Ask for help when needed. Your teachers, advisers, sponsors, and office staff are all available to assist you during their scheduled office hours.
- Our School Counselor, Mrs. Westerhout, will be available via email, phone and prearranged zoom calls. M-F 10:00am to 7:00pm.